Team Takeover
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prince Naseem Hamed tribute thread

+9
DaveH
goddamnsleepingpill
Showman
London Calling
OhNoes
True MMA FAN
the unseen man
Bloodstain Lane
Fletch
13 posters

Go down

Prince Naseem Hamed tribute thread Empty Prince Naseem Hamed tribute thread

Post by Fletch Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Know you'll like this one Lane!

NASEEM:

36 wins (31 KO's)
1 loss

WBC Featherweight champion
WBO Featherweight champion
IBF Featherweight champion
IBO Featherweight champion

Not only arguably the best featherweight of his generation, losing only once in eighteen world title fights, but he had more cocksure bravado than practically any other fighter I have lived to see in my twenty one years.

Naz became European champion aged 20, and a year later was a millionaire world champion. He unified the division, claiming 3 of the major titles and defeating the champion of a fourth (WBA) who had stripped their champion before the Hamed fight.

I will post some clips and pics in here. For now, viva Las Naz!

cheers

Last edited by 1fletch on Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fletch
Fletch
Champagne Supernova

Back to top Go down

Prince Naseem Hamed tribute thread Empty Re: Prince Naseem Hamed tribute thread

Post by Bloodstain Lane Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 pm

HELL YEA BRO...WAR NAZ...one of my all time hero in the sport

Bloodstain Lane
Bloodstain Lane
Tapping Jaw's Since 1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletch Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:59 am

cheers
Fletch
Fletch
Champagne Supernova

Back to top Go down

Post by the unseen man Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:10 am

Naseem couldnt really Box that well, he was mostly timing and speed like Roy and he was a bit overhyped but hes still good i guess
the unseen man
the unseen man

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletch Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Overhyped my arse. Just cos it took you dodgy folk west of the Atlantic until late 1997 to give the man his props, and then overcompensate from a marketing perspective for missing most of his prime years (1994-1999) doesn't make him overhyped.

Beating the four World Featherweight Titleholders in his time (winning 3 - the 4th - WBA - had been stripped from Vasquez prior to fight) after destroying a streak of international opponents, which followed being reigning European champion aged 20.... and after all that, having seventeen successful world title fights, defeating 9 world champions.....

Come on, don't buy into the bullshit that he was overhyped, and "exposed" by Barrerra. I admit that Naz should have returned to avenge that fight, and that he should never have retired only one fight later aged 28... but what he did cannot be denied, except by the very stupid. From 1995-2001, he utterly dominated the Featherweight division... he is an all time great, a star that burned out fast instead of fading away
Fletch
Fletch
Champagne Supernova

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodstain Lane Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:28 pm

1fletch wrote:Overhyped my arse. Just cos it took you dodgy folk west of the Atlantic until late 1997 to give the man his props, and then overcompensate from a marketing perspective for missing most of his prime years (1994-1999) doesn't make him overhyped.

Beating the four World Featherweight Titleholders in his time (winning 3 - the 4th - WBA - had been stripped from Vasquez prior to fight) after destroying a streak of international opponents, which followed being reigning European champion aged 20.... and after all that, having seventeen successful world title fights, defeating 9 world champions.....

Come on, don't buy into the bullshit that he was overhyped, and "exposed" by Barrerra. I admit that Naz should have returned to avenge that fight, and that he should never have retired only one fight later aged 28... but what he did cannot be denied, except by the very stupid. From 1995-2001, he utterly dominated the Featherweight division... he is an all time great, a star that burned out fast instead of fading away

CO-FUCKING SIGN

You already know the impact Naz had on me...shit thats why his thread is sticky
Bloodstain Lane
Bloodstain Lane
Tapping Jaw's Since 1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletch Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:33 pm

cheers

Yorkshire represent
Fletch
Fletch
Champagne Supernova

Back to top Go down

Post by True MMA FAN Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:32 pm

The most entertaining boxer in the history of the sweet science. I read that he gave most of his money that he made in boxing to his parents for bringing him up proper. He was a true family man and loved his family more than the sport of boxing. That is why he left the sport at an early age, per the request of his family. Sucks he went to jail for 15 months in 2006. http://www.girlstalksports.com/More-Sports/Boxing/Naseem-Hamed-jailed-for-dangerous-driving-20060512962/
He is still only 36 years old. Lose the weight and please come back and fight.
True MMA FAN
True MMA FAN

Back to top Go down

Post by OhNoes Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:56 pm

True MMA FAN wrote:The most entertaining boxer in the history of the sweet science. I read that he gave most of his money that he made in boxing to his parents for bringing him up proper. He was a true family man and loved his family more than the sport of boxing. That is why he left the sport at an early age, per the request of his family. Sucks he went to jail for 15 months in 2006. http://www.girlstalksports.com/More-Sports/Boxing/Naseem-Hamed-jailed-for-dangerous-driving-20060512962/

he would get slaughtered if he came back. heres why: aside from obvious ring rust, he was good but he used speed and power to his advantage (sound familiar? yes i used the unseen man account) and when youre fast but someone is faster, you will have a lot of trouble just like Roy Jones and Ali when they aged. thing is, in Boxing, speed means A LOT. when youre fighting guys that are 120 lbs, speed means even more. look at the trouble Ali and RJJ had and multiply times 3 because the 120 lbs guys are more technical then heavyweights and overmatched mandatories.
OhNoes
OhNoes

Back to top Go down

Post by True MMA FAN Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:10 pm

OhNoes wrote:
True MMA FAN wrote:The most entertaining boxer in the history of the sweet science. I read that he gave most of his money that he made in boxing to his parents for bringing him up proper. He was a true family man and loved his family more than the sport of boxing. That is why he left the sport at an early age, per the request of his family. Sucks he went to jail for 15 months in 2006. http://www.girlstalksports.com/More-Sports/Boxing/Naseem-Hamed-jailed-for-dangerous-driving-20060512962/

he would get slaughtered if he came back. heres why: aside from obvious ring rust, he was good but he used speed and power to his advantage (sound familiar? yes i used the unseen man account) and when youre fast but someone is faster, you will have a lot of trouble just like Roy Jones and Ali when they aged. thing is, in Boxing, speed means A LOT. when youre fighting guys that are 120 lbs, speed means even more. look at the trouble Ali and RJJ had and multiply times 3 because the 120 lbs guys are more technical then heavyweights and overmatched mandatories.
I think not based on his fighting style alone. No one can prepare or train for a fighter who fights like that. He fights and moves in a way that is almost not standard boxing. You could actually say that he created his own style of boxing that has yet to be seen to this day. Not to mention that his power was insane. He always said his power came from his legs and I am sure he has not lost that power. You are right though about speed. The ring rust would take away that speed to which he was a super star for, but that power from his lower body? I think he would still have that, but to execute it without the speed would be the problem. The Prince could still make a come back at his age and rock some heads, not to mention make some money. Take into account that he retired at an early age so he did not suffer the damage of a long career like the fighters you speak of: RJJ, Ali.
True MMA FAN
True MMA FAN

Back to top Go down

Post by OhNoes Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:14 pm

True MMA FAN wrote:
OhNoes wrote:

I think not based on his fighting style alone. No one can prepare or train for a fighter who fights like that. He fights and moves in a way that is almost not standard boxing. You could actually say that he created his own style of boxing that has yet to be seen to this day. Not to mention that his power was insane. He always said his power came from his legs and I am sure he has not lost that power. You are right though about speed. The ring rust would take away that speed to which he was a super star for, but that power from his lower body? I think he would still have that, but to execute it without the speed would be the problem. The Prince could still make a come back at his age and rock some heads, not to mention make some money. Take into account that he retired at an early age so he did not suffer the damage of a long career like the fighters you speak of: RJJ, Ali.

idk man, age hits teh lighter weights like a ton of bricks. but yes, he did have a unique style.
OhNoes
OhNoes

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:27 am

I really hate Naz. He was always a cocky twat and coupled with the hit and run I dont see how anyone can be a fan
London Calling
London Calling
London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by True MMA FAN Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:08 pm

London Calling wrote:I really hate Naz. He was always a cocky twat and coupled with the hit and run I dont see how anyone can be a fan
When I first saw him fight I felt the same way, but if you are a boxing fan then you really learn to appreciate the skill he had in the ring. His style was his own and not that of what we consider boxing. Also you have to respect the power he possessed. Lenox Lewis once said that he could knock out Mike Tyson five times, but could still not be as popular as Naz in the UK.
True MMA FAN
True MMA FAN

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:57 pm

He was fun to watch, don't get me wrong. Vs Kelley I remember in particular being an amazing fight. Just I always rooted against him
London Calling
London Calling
London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by True MMA FAN Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:42 pm

London Calling wrote:He was fun to watch, don't get me wrong. Vs Kelley I remember in particular being an amazing fight. Just I always rooted against him
Almost every American thought Kelley was going to destroy him and then Naz KO's him in the 4th round. I will say his 10 minute entrance was a disgrace, but it may have made Kelley mad and took him out of his fight game. Bye the way I rooted against him in that fight just because of that long ring entrance. Even HBO was pissed over that.
True MMA FAN
True MMA FAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletch Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:06 am

DAT GIRL
DAT GIRL SHELLEY ANN
SHE GWAN LIKE SHE NICE A WANT
TWO BAG A MAN

*Naseem prances on the ringwalk, to the fury of NYC*
Fletch
Fletch
Champagne Supernova

Back to top Go down

Post by Showman Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Damn, this thread brings back memories. My favourite boxer of all time. Its a shame he left the game so early. I don't care what anyone says, a motivated Prince beats Barrera in that fight.
Showman
Showman

Back to top Go down

Post by goddamnsleepingpill Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:52 am

oh man i remember watching his fights with my dad back in the 90's, fucking good times. His entrances were awesome. I always liked his ring savy, i wouldnt say he was anything like rjj but he had a serious speed and accuracy advantage over all his opponents and could plant a straight at will it seemed.
goddamnsleepingpill
goddamnsleepingpill

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveH Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:17 am

He fought one great fighter in his career and got destroyed.

Great talent, too much arrogance, good fighter but not great.

Certainly NOT the most entertaining fighter in the history of boxing, even in his prime he wasn't the most entertaining. Allow me to introduce Mr. Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWnMXzgeZo

DaveH

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianAssault Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 pm

DaveH wrote:He fought one great fighter in his career and got destroyed.

Great talent, too much arrogance, good fighter but not great.

Certainly NOT the most entertaining fighter in the history of boxing, even in his prime he wasn't the most entertaining. Allow me to introduce Mr. Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWnMXzgeZo

both were Entertaining fighters. one knew when to quit whale the other does not no when to quit.
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jperry22solo Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:28 am

The Prince was a great fighter but he was scared of real competition. He really couldn't take a punch ether....But I have to agree "He was Bloody Good!" lol
Jperry22solo
Jperry22solo

http://1hitquits.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletch Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:26 am

Jperry22solo wrote:The Prince was a great fighter but he was scared of real competition. He really couldn't take a punch ether....But I have to agree "He was Bloody Good!" lol

What a shit post

Fuck off. I wont even dignify your post by posting Naseem's credentials.... i.e. his number of world champion opponents, top ranked opponents, mandatory defences, KO ratio, etc
Fletch
Fletch
Champagne Supernova

Back to top Go down

Post by ai-edy2007 Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 pm

one of the all time greats in the sport prince naseem was soo flashy and quick you dont see many other boxers who had ring entrances and the amount of incredible footwork prince naseem possesed.
ai-edy2007
ai-edy2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Cable-Boy Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:23 am

He most definitely is not an "All Time Great"

He was highly entertaining and was a great fighter, but an "All Time Great"? naw, most definitely not.
Cable-Boy
Cable-Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down