Team Takeover
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2

5 posters

Go down

Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2 Empty Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2

Post by Kid Gavilan Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:56 am

Junior flyweight champion Giovani Segura and Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon, who waged one of the most intense and action-packed fights of 2010, will meet again April 2 in Campeche, Mexico.

Mexico's Segura traveled to Calderon's native Puerto Rico for the first fight on Aug. 28 and knocked Calderon out in the eighth round in one of the leading Fight of the Year candidates. He handed longtime champion Calderon his first defeat, unified alphabet belts and claimed the lineal championship of the 108-pound division.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

For the rematch, however, Calderon will travel to Mexico to meet Segura on his turf.

"Now it will be different because I'm going to fight with better training and without injuries," Calderon said Tuesday at a news conference in his hometown of Guaynabo to announce the bout, which will be televised on Integrated Sports pay-per-view in the United States. "We are working right now and no matter that the fight is in Mexico, I'm going to show my boxing, my movements to win this title again. I want to thank Segura for giving me this opportunity."

Said Segura, "He gave me the opportunity and now we give him the same opportunity, but I'm going to the fight in the best condition to retain this title against a great boxer like Calderon."

Calderon, 36, a longtime strawweight champion before moving up in weight to claim the title at junior flyweight, was a regular on the pound-for-pound list and one of the most dominant fighters of the past decade, a peerless technician with superb defense.

However, Segura, 28, a wild swinging brawler with tremendous punching power, stalked him throughout their first fight. He eventually caught up to him, broke him down and stopped him with a vicious body assault. Their contract called for a rematch, but terms were not spelled out, including the specific weight. Segura (26-1-1, 22 KOs), who has trouble making the 108-pound junior flyweight limit, wanted the rematch to take place in the 112-pound flyweight division.

After months of negotiation between the camps, Segura agreed to make the weight one more time if Calderon (34-1-1, 6 KOs) agreed to fight him in Mexico.

"I guess it's the biggest fight for the most money for him," said Richard Mota, Segura's manager. "When you're in the small weight classes there are not too many options. Giovani said, 'He wants the rematch, I'll give it to him.' He knows he will struggle to make the weight, but he'll give it to him. He said he could make the weight one more time. He really wanted to move up to 112, but this is the right fight. Everyone wants to see the rematch, and it's the biggest money fight for him.

"I know we're getting more money than Calderon and we got a good deal with the pay-per-view [upside] and all that. We couldn't say no, so we're going to do the rematch. We have nothing but respect for Calderon. He's a great champion. He's proven it. Giovani has nothing bad to say about Calderon. I know Giovani is very excited to come back to Mexico for a big fight like this. He's training very hard. He's already in shape. It's just the weight. He'll struggle a little bit."

Calderon and Segura will continue their promotional efforts for the fight with a news conference in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter.

Last edited by Kid Gavilan on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2 Empty Re: Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2

Post by Kid Gavilan Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 am

Round 1.

Round 2.

Round 3.

Round 4.

Round 5.

Round 6.

Round 7.

Round 8.
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2 Empty Re: Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2

Post by 拳天下 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 am

the first fight was great, but i don't really want to see this again. calderon doesn't have the punch to keep segura off of him and his legs aren't what they used to be. i think segura does the same thing as the first fight by wearing calderon down and eventually finishing him. i thought this was going to happen in the first fight and i think it'll happen again in the rematch.

Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2 Calderon=segura-rematch-presser%20%281%29
http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-segura-calderon-face-face-puerto-rico--35982
拳天下
拳天下

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianAssault Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:55 am

alot of fighting begging set up.
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by homeless mma fan Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Calderon couldn't even beat Segura in Puerto Rico. What makes him think he can win in Mexico?

afro

homeless mma fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Gavilan Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 am

Giovani Segura vs Ivan Calderon part 2 set for April 2 315932 flip the bird owned!
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Post by nhbnews Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:02 pm

It still could be a great fight. Calderon is great but an underrated boxer, mainly because of his size and lack of power. We'll see if Segura can catch him again. Before their first fight, no one else had. If Segura does again, he has to be considered for the p4p list.
nhbnews
nhbnews
Eddie Goldman

http://eddiegoldman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Gavilan Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 am

Short but sweet.
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down