Team Takeover
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt

+3
The Last Emperor
CanadianAssault
Kid Gavilan
7 posters

Go down

Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt Empty Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt

Post by Kid Gavilan Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 am

In a transparent, boldly biased, and rather pathetic move, the WBC has chosen to sanction a junior welterweight title fight between Erik Morales and Jorge Barrios on the September 17 Mayweather vs Ortiz pay-per-view undercard.

Let's count the ways that this sucks and not pretend that it doesn't.

First off, Timothy Bradley held the title. Fine, nobody likes Tim Bradley right now. But he was within his mandatory period. He just won the belt in January when he beat Devon Alexander. By the WBC's rules, there is no valid reason to strip Bradley of the belt right now. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Q: Why is the WBC stripping Timothy Bradley?
A: Because it benefits Erik Morales.

I hate to say this about Erik Morales, because I love him as a fighter. He's one of my absolute favorite fighters ever. And he still fights hard when he gets in the ring, and he's proven that his comeback wasn't quite as ill-advised as we all thought. He's a true boxing warrior. We all love Erik Morales.

But this is an obvious plot by the WBC to put their 140-pound belt on Morales, which would make him the first ever four-division "champion" in Mexican boxing history. It's cheap, it's obvious, and it sucks. Morales vs Barrios is a good fight, really. It should have plenty of action and be exciting, and might well steal the show on the card.

Star-divide

Here's the reality, though: Morales is ranked No. 3 by the WBC. This is silly enough (they also have Humberto Soto automatically ranked No. 4), but let's go a bit deeper. Let's talk about Barrios. He's never fought at 140 pounds. Ever. Not even once. And he's not a WBC "champion" moving up, either. He's not even ranked at 135 pounds -- not in their top 40. We're talking about a rankings list that includes the likes of Humberto Toledo, Dejan Zlaticanin, Logan McGuinness, and others.

I'm not intending to dump on those fighters, but what I'm saying is that obviously it's not exactly hard to be ranked by the WBC in a top 40, and frankly it's not THAT hard to get ranked in a legitimate, unbiased top 40 in any division either. Barrios, for the record, is definitely one of the 40 top lightweights in the world. Top 20, even, arguably top 15. But we're not dealing with unbiased rankings. We're dealing with the WBC's rankings.

But he has never fought at 140, and he has no business fighting for a vacant title. It does not add up. This is pure, unfiltered bias from the WBC, and anyone can see it. If Morales wins, the WBC and Golden Boy and probably HBO will celebrate and go nuts, but it will be an empty fourth title, and it will diminish what should have been a momentous moment, even in an era of useless title belts that are thrown around willy nilly.

And if the WBC weren't showing bias here, and they decided to wrongly strip Timothy Bradley of the belt anyway, the fight that should be for the vacant title is the already-scheduled eliminator on September 30 between Ali Chebah and Ajose Olusegun. I said all of this yesterday, but it's worth repeating. And certainly, this is all just my opinion.

You are free to disagree if you wish, and praise Morales vs Barrios as a great title fight, and that's fine, I guess, but I just can't get on board with this. It even lessens my excitement for what IS, again, a GOOD FIGHT that should be fun to watch. Because they've tacked on this belt and will completely ignore that it's an obvious, cheap tactic to crown Erik Morales. If anyone deserves to be cheaply crowned, sure, it's someone like Erik Morales.

But I don't think he deserves the backlash that this news will bring from people who know what it really is, either. This is criticism that should be directed at the WBC. All Morales and Golden Boy did was take advantage

Last edited by Kid Gavilan on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt Empty Re: Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt

Post by Kid Gavilan Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 am

Utter bullshit, but that's Suleiman for you.
Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt 315932 Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt 315932
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt Empty Re: Bradley gets stripped of the Suleiman belt

Post by CanadianAssault Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 am

LOL, wow. this is GAY
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Last Emperor Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:31 am

mehh.

Morales fan right here Smile
The Last Emperor
The Last Emperor
W.S.J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty Trust Krusher Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 am

This is exactly why I hate these boxing organizations.
Dirty fucking tactics being put to use here.
Bradley is still the champ in my eyes, I don't give a damn what some crooked coalition has to say about it.
Mighty Trust Krusher
Mighty Trust Krusher

https://www.facebook.com/RonSartin

Back to top Go down

Post by homeless mma fan Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:33 am

Suleiman must be setting up Barrera vs Morales IV for the title.

fuck that piece of shit! such a shady man

homeless mma fan

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianAssault Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 pm

homeless mma fan wrote:Suleiman must be setting up Barrera vs Morales IV for the title.

fuck that piece of shit! such a shady man

master plan is to have Morales fight Amir for WBC.
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by KOQ24 Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 am

all sanctioning bodies are trash,wbc ain't an exception
KOQ24
KOQ24

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:02 am

Morales is lobbying the WBC to sanction his fight against Jorge Barrios. They probably will do so.

Edit: Boxrec has Morales-Barrios listed now as being for the vacant WBC title.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down