Team Takeover
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alexander Povetkin Lines Up Two Fights In Quick Succession - Oct. 16th, Oct 30th: Will Face Teke Oruh First

3 posters

Go down

Alexander Povetkin Lines Up Two Fights In Quick Succession - Oct. 16th, Oct 30th: Will Face Teke Oruh First Empty Alexander Povetkin Lines Up Two Fights In Quick Succession - Oct. 16th, Oct 30th: Will Face Teke Oruh First

Post by CanadianAssault Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Unbeaten heavyweight contender and former Olympic gold medallist Alexander Povetkin has a busy schedule coming up. The 31-year-old, along with his trainer Teddy Atlas, felt he needed further experience before going in with Wladimir Klitschko, and the word is Povetkin will fight on October 16th and then again, a mere two weeks later, on October 30th.

Povetkin, 19-0(14) will reportedly face Nigeria’s Teke Oruh first, in Russia (Povetkin’s second fight is planned for Germany, no opponent announced as of yet).

Oruh, a 32-year-old based in Las Vegas, has a reasonable enough pro record at 14-2-1(6), and since turning pro back in 2001 he has never been stopped. Perhaps the plan of Atlas and Povetkin is to get some good rounds in against a durable, non too dangerous foe. But will Oruh, who lost his last two bouts, stick around long enough to give Povetkin the workout he wants?

The Nigerian has not fought since November of 2008 (a UD loss to Manuel Quezada, this fight following a MD loss to Joey Abell, which occurred a year earlier), and he is sure to be rusty come Oct. 16th. Could Povetkin catch his man cold and get a blow out win? And if so, what good will that do “The Russian Vityaz?”

Taller than Povetkin, at 6’3” to 6’2,” Oruh will also have some weight on the unbeaten hope. Povetkin comes in at around the low 220-mark, while Oruh, the last time he fought, came in at just below 250-pounds - and he could weigh even more for the “comeback” fight. But will Oruh be in shape?

Known as “The African Prince,” Oruh has had all but one of his 17 pro outings in America, and he has managed wins over the likes of Jason Gavern. But never has Oruh boxed (as a pro, anyway) in Russia before. Will the fight and its venue get to him?

Povetkin should pick up his 20th win with no real trouble (unless I’m badly underestimating Oruh’s chances), and then, barring any cuts or other injuries, go into the October 30th bout as planned. But what good are these type of fights doing Povetkin? Getting further rounds under his belt is one thing, but wouldn’t it be better if Povetkin upped the level in just one, far more meaningful fight?

The Russian could probably carry on beating journeymen types until he’s forty-years-old, but will he ever get into the ring with Wladimir Klitschko?
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Alexander Povetkin Lines Up Two Fights In Quick Succession - Oct. 16th, Oct 30th: Will Face Teke Oruh First Empty Re: Alexander Povetkin Lines Up Two Fights In Quick Succession - Oct. 16th, Oct 30th: Will Face Teke Oruh First

Post by CanadianAssault Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Yes I Hope this guy fights Asap his career has been so up and down he should be fighting alot more. this is one of my fav current HW lets hope he fights and wins both his fights and goes on to fighting wald.

WAR Alexander Povetkin!!!!
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Alexander Povetkin Lines Up Two Fights In Quick Succession - Oct. 16th, Oct 30th: Will Face Teke Oruh First Empty Re: Alexander Povetkin Lines Up Two Fights In Quick Succession - Oct. 16th, Oct 30th: Will Face Teke Oruh First

Post by Kid Gavilan Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:57 am

He needs as much experience as possible.
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianAssault Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:36 am

he has alot of AM experience, but needs more pro after this two fights I think he should fight adamek two of my fav current HW fighting etch other would be a good match, or he can fight eddie chambers or james toney....lol
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Gavilan Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:20 am

Who's James Toney?

I think Adamek beats Povetkin.
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianAssault Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:59 am

me too I think it will be close but adamek will tko him in the 11th round, thats if they fight.
tell yea the truth I think adamek can beat vitali and wald as well.
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Gavilan Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:03 am

Uh... no, both Klitschko's beat Adamek.
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianAssault Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 am

well I can dream tho right? Smile
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by KOQ24 Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:59 am

I don't think fighting average opponents can be good if he seriously wants to get better
KOQ24
KOQ24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down