Team Takeover
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick Diaz vs Mayorga or Vargas = possible in 2011

4 posters

Go down

Nick Diaz vs Mayorga or Vargas = possible in 2011 Empty Nick Diaz vs Mayorga or Vargas = possible in 2011

Post by London Calling Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:19 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/columns/story?columnist=mcneil_franklin&id=6057326

Soon after the Evangelista fight, Diaz will turn his thoughts to Miller, a boxer or the next welterweight contender. Of the possibilities, facing a boxer is likely to appeal to him most.

Due to financial demands, Diaz-Miller is a long shot. The champion is willing to face Miller at 185 pounds, but only if the money is to his liking.

"I wouldn't mind moving up," Diaz said. "I'd just like to get paid for it.

"I just want to get paid. [Boxing champion Manny] Pacquiao's making $40 million. ... I'm over here driving a Honda because my [car] is breaking down."

Strikeforce officials haven't indicated a willingness to give Diaz any extra compensation to move up in weight. The champ, therefore, will likely turn his attention to boxing.

Diaz is itching to box, and although he recently re-signed with Strikeforce, according to his trainer, Cesar Gracie, the deal includes a clause that allows Diaz to compete in a boxing match this year.

Diaz is expected to exercise that clause. Facing a recognizable boxer could potentially land Diaz the largest paycheck of his career.

"In boxing, when you're a superstar, you get millions of dollars," Gracie told ESPN.com. "In MMA, you're not making that kind of money.

"We're in negotiations right now with [boxing promoter] Don Chargin. We would very much like to take a boxing match. It would probably be at super middleweight [168 pounds].

"There have been a few names kicked around. One of them is Fernando Vargas; another is Ricardo Mayorga."

Vargas, the former IBF junior middleweight titleholder, is 33. He hasn't fought since November 2007, when Mayorga defeated him by majority decision.

Word has been spreading in boxing circles recently that Vargas is considering a comeback. Attempts by ESPN.com to get confirmation from Vargas have thus far been unsuccessful.

Diaz, however, might not have to wait for Vargas to determine his next move. A fight with Mayorga, whose MMA debut bout with Din Thomas in May 2010 was quashed by boxing promoter Don King, is a distinct possibility.

Mayorga has a March 12 date with WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas. But Alan Hopper, director of public relations for Don King Productions, isn't ruling out a fight with Diaz later this year.

"It's all about the rules," Hopper told ESPN.com. "As long as the combatants can adhere to the particular rules of the game they are participating in -- in this case a boxing match -- we'd be perfectly OK with that.

"Now, obviously, we hope [Mayorga] beats Cotto and will have bigger fish to fry in the boxing world. But you never know, you never know."
Not really news but meh, interesting I think.

Poor Vargas, guess he might need the money http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2722/fernando_vargas_to_make_comeback.

After Cotto's through with Mayorga, a Diaz fight could look pretty nice for him. Though you guys will probably disagree, I actually think Diaz would beat them.
London Calling
London Calling
London Calling

Back to top Go down

Nick Diaz vs Mayorga or Vargas = possible in 2011 Empty Re: Nick Diaz vs Mayorga or Vargas = possible in 2011

Post by CanadianAssault Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:30 am

Diaz would get raped in pro boxing, diaz gots good tecnical boxing for a mma fighter but got have no power guy has shit footwork no head movement I could see him taking one of this fights tho it would be a really good pay day no doute but he would get crushed.
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Nick Diaz vs Mayorga or Vargas = possible in 2011 Empty Re: Nick Diaz vs Mayorga or Vargas = possible in 2011

Post by Kid Gavilan Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:27 am

Not happening.
Kid Gavilan
Kid Gavilan

Back to top Go down

Post by Joojitzoo Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:52 am

Why do people think Nick has good boxing. Even for MMA?
Joojitzoo
Joojitzoo

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianAssault Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 am

his got good mma hands cuz he manages to out strike the guys his fighting.

but I allready said it once if Diaz step in the ring with a guy like vargas he would get Raped.
CanadianAssault
CanadianAssault
Gnarly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down