Team Takeover
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rubber Guard.. your thoughts?

+9
DB
ArthurKnoqOut
IQ Wrestler
Dr Mcsexy
R3D
kid
Raske
Donowaman
Jride
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rubber Guard.. your thoughts? Empty Rubber Guard.. your thoughts?

Post by Jride Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Just curious what you think about the use of rubber guard in not just MMA, but grappling competitions in general. Is it effective? Have you grappled with someone that can effectively use it? Just overall thoughts are needed.

My reason being that I grappled with a 10th planet blue belt.

I have virtually no actual real grappling/training experience besides what I've picked up from instructional DVD's, YouTube videos, MMA, etc.

Anyways after I rolled about 4 or 5 times with someone else, I decided to try my hand with him, he pulled guard and immediately went to rubber guard. Tried for an omoplata but I defended and I ended up in side control. Then we went back and forth and I later got subbed by an arm triangle.

But the reason that I'm curious about it is, How does a person that never trained in his life (me) easily defend the rubber guard against someone training 3 times a week for 2 years.

I'm not sold on Eddie's 10th Planet System.
Jride
Jride
Business As Usual

Back to top Go down

Rubber Guard.. your thoughts? Empty Re: Rubber Guard.. your thoughts?

Post by Donowaman Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm

It's cool if you're a shirtlifter.
Donowaman
Donowaman
Megaton Champiion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raske Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

The rubber guard and the whole 10th planet system seems like it was just created for MMA, and not any serious grappling competitions.
Raske
Raske

Back to top Go down

Post by kid Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:31 pm

SMASH IT

Rubber Guard.. your thoughts? 0

Last edited by kid on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

kid

Back to top Go down

Post by R3D Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 pm

It works on noobs but skilled grapplers with solid BJJ base posture up and break through that shit with ease.
R3D
R3D
Stend Ap Fighter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jride Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Until someone successfully works rubber guard on me, I fail to believe it.
Jride
Jride
Business As Usual

Back to top Go down

Post by R3D Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:02 pm

That shit works if someone really good does it. Someone who has built their leg/hip strength for 8-10 years of grappling.

Some guy Aoki will wrap you up in that shit and you wont break his grip before you gas or get subbed.

Some newb white belt trying to do it = FAIL
R3D
R3D
Stend Ap Fighter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jride Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Thank you sir.
Jride
Jride
Business As Usual

Back to top Go down

Post by Donowaman Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:38 am

Aoki and Vinny Magalhaes are the only two I've seen use it decently in MMA. Imanari tries, but it ends up just being a boring stall position.
Donowaman
Donowaman
Megaton Champiion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jride Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Donowaman wrote:Aoki and Vinny Magalhaes are the only two I've seen use it decently in MMA. Imanari tries, but it ends up just being a boring stall position.

Aoki is also extremely crafty and flexible as all hell.
Jride
Jride
Business As Usual

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Mcsexy Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:36 pm

The thing about rubber guard and the 10th planet system is that it has only been around for a few years. The guys that have been training rubber guard or the 10th planet system have only been doing it for a little while. It's still in it's infancy. When guys get go rubber guard they either don't have any moves from there or they do and they just haven't trained those moves enough to do them in a actual fight. I think once guys start to train BJJ from the start in the 10 planet system and they just get more time to develop it you will see it be more successful than it has been in MMA.
Dr Mcsexy
Dr Mcsexy
Gary The Grape

https://www.facebook.com/#!/gary.laplante

Back to top Go down

Post by IQ Wrestler Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Phil Baroni BEST EVA rubber guard
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler
Kick•Submission•Suplex

Back to top Go down

Post by kid Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 am

Dr Mcsexy wrote:The thing about rubber guard and the 10th planet system is that it has only been around for a few years. The guys that have been training rubber guard or the 10th planet system have only been doing it for a little while. It's still in it's infancy. When guys get go rubber guard they either don't have any moves from there or they do and they just haven't trained those moves enough to do them in a actual fight. I think once guys start to train BJJ from the start in the 10 planet system and they just get more time to develop it you will see it be more successful than it has been in MMA.

eddie subbed royler in 03 and certainly hed been using rubber guard a "few years" at that point.

still people were using it before him.

it isn't really something new as of 10th planet yknow

kid

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurKnoqOut Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:50 am

kid, Eddie didn't use "rubber guard" on Royler. Eddie caught him and I hate to say this but got very lucky.

He was using his high guard and when Royler went for a pass to the left as he was doing all match long, Eddie got him (obviously took skill) but he was losing until that point...

Listne, Eddie is a BB under JJ Machado and that is a BIG deal but rubber guard is still new...

in MMA I love George Sots and Aoki using it but you see how Aoki got tooled by Marcelinho in under 90 seconds?

The rubber guard is also a matter of definition, because just cause you play high guard doesn't mean that you are using rubber guard...furthermore, I've went and got gogos in competition simply by seeing Nick Diaz do it against Gomi a few years ago, and I got the gist. hip to the right, high to the left to lock it up, pull the head down, break down posture with my right foot and lock it up and get the tap...but i never trained 10th planet...severl 10th planet guys competed and did well in competition BUT not on a large national stage...NOT YET...

the style is real but takes a lot of flexibality that you need to WORK ON (i'm totally with it though as i think flexability is good for well-being even if you don't train any martial art) and also it puts on a lot of torque and pressure on your knees, which are pretty fragile so I get worried using it sometimes even when we roll and I'm experimenting...
ArthurKnoqOut
ArthurKnoqOut

http://www.KnoqOutMMA.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kid Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 pm

ArthurKnoqOut wrote:kid, Eddie didn't use "rubber guard" on Royler. Eddie caught him and I hate to say this but got very lucky.

He was using his high guard and when Royler went for a pass to the left as he was doing all match long, Eddie got him (obviously took skill) but he was losing until that point...

Listne, Eddie is a BB under JJ Machado and that is a BIG deal but rubber guard is still new....

he certainly did. not in the triangle set up, but he most definitely used rubber guard in that match, rewatch it. if you read me correctly my point isn;t that rubber guard is awesome, its that it isnt a "few years old" as previously stated. not only has eddie been using it for much longer than a few years but others (nino schembri is the most often cited example) have been holding the leg behind the back of their opponents in guard for ages, it just didn't have a name you could market. it was "foot behind the head" guard.

kid

Back to top Go down

Post by DB Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:06 pm

I don't believe in it

A high guard is just as way more effective than rubber guard

Being mobile with your hips is way better than just trying to control someone with the foot behind the head

Its stupid in my opinion
DB
DB

http://rabbit-punch.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurKnoqOut Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 pm

kid wrote:
ArthurKnoqOut wrote:kid, Eddie didn't use "rubber guard" on Royler. Eddie caught him and I hate to say this but got very lucky.

Listne, Eddie is a BB under JJ Machado and that is a BIG deal but rubber guard is still new....

he certainly did. not in the triangle set up, but he most definitely used rubber guard in that match, rewatch it. if you read me correctly my point isn;t that rubber guard is awesome, its that it isnt a "few years old" as previously stated. not only has eddie been using it for much longer than a few years but others (nino schembri is the most often cited example) have been holding the leg behind the back of their opponents in guard for ages, it just didn't have a name you could market. it was "foot behind the head" guard.

dude, I recently watched it. again what do you mean by saying he "used rubber guard" did he use chill dog, new york, LA, London, Zombie? Jew claw? what is it hahah

Nino indeed has been doing that for a while, in fact, even Marcelinho has sweeps where he grabs the shin (such as the triangle defense counter, recounter)

ArthurKnoqOut
ArthurKnoqOut

Back to top Go down

Post by kid Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

i dunno whateverthefuck is at 3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxIxSr81OwA whats your point exactly?

kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mawashi Gary Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Hazelett got smashed by Bocek. That was the last time I saw an attempt at rubber guard.
Mawashi Gary
Mawashi Gary

Back to top Go down

Post by DB Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 pm

I was testing it out tonight and every time I went for it my opponent used it against me.

Don't see the point
DB
DB

http://rabbit-punch.net

Back to top Go down

Post by IQ Wrestler Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:24 pm

DB wrote:I was testing it out tonight and every time I went for it my opponent used it against me.

Don't see the point

Any guard play other then open is a waste of time imo
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler
Kick•Submission•Suplex

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurKnoqOut Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:39 am

kid wrote:i dunno whateverthefuck is at 3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxIxSr81OwA whats your point exactly?

this is how I know you don't know WTF you're talking about, kid. I said high guard AT LEAST TWICE, that is the HIGH GUARD, and you STILL attempt to ask me what that is. You're a keyboard warrior, point taken.

ArthurKnoqOut
ArthurKnoqOut

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurKnoqOut Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:40 am

IQ Wrestler wrote:
DB wrote:I was testing it out tonight and every time I went for it my opponent used it against me.

Don't see the point

Any guard play other then open is a waste of time imo

X-Guard and Half to Deep half if you know what you are doing.
ArthurKnoqOut
ArthurKnoqOut

Back to top Go down

Post by kid Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:04 am

ArthurKnoqOut wrote:
kid wrote:i dunno whateverthefuck is at 3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxIxSr81OwA whats your point exactly?

this is how I know you don't know WTF you're talking about, kid. I said high guard AT LEAST TWICE, that is the HIGH GUARD, and you STILL attempt to ask me what that is. You're a keyboard warrior, point taken.

what? hes clearly underhooking his shin and holding his knee with his other hand, his legs are not crossed as they would be in a "high guard". yah i read you say it twice then three times. and then i watched the video. and then i replied.

just because i dont know the bullshit names of 10th planet guard systems doesn't mean im a "keyboard warrior", ive been grappling for 4+ years.

Rubber Guard.. your thoughts? 0

here's a damn picture, what the fuck man?

Last edited by kid on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

kid

Back to top Go down

Post by kid Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 am

perhaps if high guard = holding a guard while high i suppose youre right?

kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum